Sitting Pretty

This sitting room was so much fun to decorate because it already had elements like custom wainscoting, eleven foot ceilings, and an open floor plan that helped to add interest and light to the space.

The starters for this design concept were the window panels, oriental carpet, and antique hutch. Incorporating existing pieces into a new design not only offers a direction but also allows me to be more creative and work with what I have.

After

Before

The first thing I did was to update the existing panels by adding a 5” decorative tape on the leading edge of each. The tigers worked perfectly with the Kravet panel fabric and gave the windows that WOW factor. The cornice layout was tricky but we were able to fit four full tigers in by using the return to the wall. This window treatment set the tone for this room and later for the entire first floor.

You’ll never be blue in this Living Room.

This spacious Living Room in a beautiful old stone colonial needed a little freshening up.  My client wanted to get rid of the salmon and pink that adorned the room and bring in more blue and green.  I felt the best way was to start with the walls and Farrow and Ball’s Cooks Blue, was the perfect color to do it. A gorgeous Stark carpet already lived in the room however, it wasn’t big enough for the main seating area. I pulled the blue from the Stark and selected a wool Karastan to go underneath the matching sofas.  Together the two carpets worked seamlessly to bring the seating area into one cohesive unit.

The slipper chairs were reupholstered in a durable Robert Allen fabric and dressed with a beautiful Scalamandre tape along the bottom of their skirts. Throw pillows were added to both sofas and the chairs to bring in a little color.

 

Lastly, Sconces on dimmers were added along the perimeter of the room to allow for accent lighting when needed. The antique brass against the crisp blue walls was the perfect detail to finish off the room.

Sexy and Sweet Sweet Dining Chairs

These Dining chairs were so much fun to redesign. From the beginning, I knew that I wanted to change the overall look and not just reupholster them. The first step was finding the right material to really make them special.  The original armchairs had fabric on their backs and leather on their fronts while the armless chairs were all leather.  My client and I looked at mohair, wool/silk blends, velvets, leathers, and finally landed on this amazing paisley fabric.   In my opinion, a paisley print can look too sweet if not executed properly, so I had to give it an edge.  Thats where the red vinyl tape and nailheads came into the design.  The tape also created a seamless transition from back to front on each chair.  When upholstery is wrapped around the frame like this there has to be a way to finish it.  Cording along the back edge was an option, however, I didn’t think it would hold up as well over time.  Ultimately, my client and I both liked the sleek profile that the tape with nail heads added to these beautiful new custom chairs and it gave them the ‘look’ we were trying to accomplish.